Saturday, February 23, 2013

With Friends Across Snow and Sand

"I do not bring back from a journey quite the same self that I took." - W. Somerset Maugham

These words from a wise man describe very well my thoughts upon returning from my travels.  My "same self" was left somewhere at Knutpunkten, a roadside restaurant, on the top of a mountain, by the side of my friend... while my "different self" emerged.  I wouldn't say my "different self" is very drastically different, yet it is undeniably different.  A heightened sense of gratitude to be able to see and experience all that I did, new awareness of the marginalization of people, expanded categories of "beauty", feet that have trodden upon holy ground, new understanding of love and friendship...

Sweden...
 How life sometimes feels

 Excited for SNOW!  (while sporting my nifty - and warm! - legwarmers lovingly made by Mom)

 Only this time of year do these specialty desserts emerge..."Semla"

 At Knutpunkten at dusk

 The lovely couple, a.k.a. my dear friends

 With new and old friends enjoying the high-energy, meaning-filled wedding reception



Jordan...
 Beautiful scenery everywhere we went

 "And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; and behold, a voice from heaven said, 'This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.'"  (Matthew 3:16-17)

Lessons learned through Dead Sea-swimming: wear water shoes, don't taste the water, always swim in the vicinity of a military outpost.

 Explored theaters, temples, a hippodrome, public squares, towers, and gates in Jerash, one of the ten great Roman cities of the Decapolis League.

 My wonderful friends/hosts with whom I enjoyed many conversations, explored cities and mountains, and laughed many hearty laughs.

 "Then Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo...And the Lord showed him all the land...'This is the land of which I swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, "I will give it to your offspring." I have let you see it with your eyes, but you shall not go over there.'"  (Deuteronomy 34:1-4)

On the plateau...one of King Herod's palaces at Makawer, where John the Baptist was imprisoned and later beheaded.


There's so many pictures I want to share!  So see more on Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. What an incredible journey!!! Thank you so much for sharing with us! You didn't mention the boots lovingly gifted from your sister... ;) Love you and am so thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It am so happy that you made it to our wedding. It would not have been the same without you. Big hug!

    ReplyDelete