Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Many Things Asian

!  Tonight was my fourth Chinese lesson.  For the last few Tuesday afternoons, my friend Wu has taken an hour out of his time to teach me the language of many of my friends and of the country I would like to go to again someday.  It’s fun to feel like a student again (in some ways) – today I took a quiz!  It is amazing how quickly you forget what it’s like to be under the pressure of tests and grades, etc.  Here is a sample of what I am learning:

Dēng Guàn Què Lóu

Bái Rì Yī Shān Jìn
白日

Huáng Hé Rù Hǎi Liú

Yù Qióng Qiān Lǐ Mù

Gèng Shàng Yī Céng Lóu
 


This is the second poem I have memorized.  I think the purpose is mostly for my pronunciation and getting comfortable with the varying tones (that are so unlike English!).  It is exciting to see what each new week holds!  This week I will be studying and memorizing a conversation about a family in a picture and the meaning.

While we’re speaking of Asian things, a special friend of mine named Hui-I has been very hungry, eager, and excited to know about Jesus.  She reminded me today that we need to read the Bible together again soon.  It is cool because she is coming home with me for Christmas!  She was especially excited when I assured her yesterday that she would not have to pay any kind of “rent” during her stay with us.  I told her we would never make a family member pay to stay in our home so we would never make her pay.  And she indeed is becoming part of the family already – she calls me Jie Jie and “bigbigbigbigbig sister”.  Watch out, Topeka!  You will never be the same after Hui’s visit! 

Along with Hui, there are a couple other girls I have been meeting up with on a regular basis who are very close to believing.  One told me yesterday that she loves all that we talk about and she wants to believe, but doesn’t feel like she can yet.  Please pray with me for her and Hui and the many other girls who are seeking and seeing Jesus.  That He would be glorified through giving them life!

Ephesians 2:4-5
But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.   

With Hui on our jaunt to the beach a few days ago.

My Chinese teacher and friend, Wu.  Jumping is his favorite pastime.

2 comments:

  1. wow andrea!! i don't even know a chinese poem and i've lived here for 4 years!! haha so proud of u and encouraged by your heart to learn a very hard language and your relationships there!! yay! thinking of ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, wu and his jumping!! wow, you have an awesome teacher and probably already know more chinese than i do!! can you teach me? i'm excited to share our home with your chinese pengyou. if you're jie jie, then what am i?? love you!

    ReplyDelete