Monday, August 13, 2012

People on my Mind

With new and seasoned students alike returning to campus in just a few days, my mind has been on people - who will I meet, what kind of things have they been through, what are their hopes for the future, do they see themselves as needy or self-sufficient...?  So an appropriate song caught my attention as I was scanning through the radio on my way home from a rigorous cycling class today.  It begins with "Jesus, friend of sinners."  Bam!  Am I a friend of sinners?  Do I desire to love like Jesus did instead of "judging the wounded?"

The chorus pleads for Jesus to "Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers.  Let our hearts be led by mercy.  Help us reach with open hearts and open doors.  Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks Yours."

Frequently over the last year, I found myself sitting on campus watching students scurry here and there and wondering what Jesus thinks when He looks at our campus.  I imagine He responds much like He did in His day when He looked out over the masses...He wept.  He had compassion on those who were lost, like shepherdless sheep.

In and of myself I have no capacity to love the unlovely.  As one who was one of the unlovely until Jesus reached out to me, I have the tendency to love myself instead of others.  Yet this powerful Jesus I see in scripture healing, serving, loving is the same Jesus who dwells in me and will love people through me.  I just have to ask.

The song concludes - "Because You are good, You are good, and Your love endures forever."  We are able to love God and love others because, out of His goodness, He first loved us.  Wow.  Praise HIM!

2 comments:

  1. great reminder!!!! praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen :) thank you for sharing, very encouraging baby andrea!

    ReplyDelete