In the past 26 hours there has been a big change that may be something that will change my thoughts about ministry forever. It may be one of those things that you look back and say, “Wow, I was a very different person before _____ happened.” This change reminds me (on a slightly smaller scale) of what happened to Jesus after he was “inducted” into his ministry – after his baptism…
Jesus was baptized by his friend John. His Father spoke aloud His affirmation of His Son. The Holy Spirit descended upon him in the form of a dove. Jesus was all ready – affirmed and filled – to begin his earthly ministry. The first thing he did however was not preach a life-changing sermon, he didn’t say “repent!”, he didn’t write a book, he didn’t even do a miracle! Instead, he made his way out to the desert, alone, for a long period of time and…starved. He visited a place where he was forced to decide what (or who) would be his satisfaction and ultimate fulfillment. Here he discovered that he would not depend on the comfort found in physical relief and nourishment, but on the very words of His Father Who was well – and completely – pleased with him. The affirmation, the promises, the will, the glory, the smile of His Father is what Jesus decided for the rest of his life to feast upon and draw security and satisfaction from.
After my mom left yesterday afternoon, my life as full-time Campus Outreach staffer kind of began – my “earthly ministry”. A few hours later, my friend texts me and asks if she can spend the night at my home because she doesn’t move into her dorm until Saturday. My knee-jerk reaction was, golly, I just want to be alone in my room, assembling the dresser I just bought, and just…..be. I prayed for the grace to do what God wanted me to do – what would be the most loving toward God and her. The answer which now seems obvious was, “Yes, I’ve got a blow-up mattress and enough space; that would work great for you to stay here!”
I won’t go into all the details of our time together since then, except to say that God is so faithful to bless decisions that are uncomfortable for me to make. It’s like He is encouraging me to make more such decisions which put Him and His agenda before my own. She and I have had really good conversations, inspiring ideas, difficult conversations, motivating plans, confusing conversations, and deep openness.
So maybe this experience has helped set the stage of what this coming season of my life will look like – God’s agenda before my own. I earnestly pray that it has.
thanks for sharing what you're learning and what he's teaching you... his agenda before my own- so true and a good reminder!! thinking of u baby andrea!
ReplyDelete