Thursday, September 1, 2011

New Embry-Riddle Era

The second week of students being on campus wraps up tomorrow.  It’s hard to believe that I’ve only known my new freshmen friends for that short of time – it feels like we’ve been friends for a long time!  I think that’s a good thing…

Last week, our Campus Outreach team helped move freshmen into their dorms.  The first day we had to compete with the Greeks, but the second day all the Greeks were gone.  My dear friend Yi and I met several girls, many of whom are passionate about our Savior!  The rest of the week we went to the random orientation events and met lots more people.  If I can generalize the class of 2015 (golly!) based on my informal observations:
- there are more girls than past years
- these girls are more energetic and…..girly
- the believers are hungry and have a heart for the campus
- they seem very young, yet more influenced by the world

This week has included taking two carloads of eager freshmen to our church Sunday; being encouraged by the passion of our student leaders; meeting one-on-one with new girls – hearing their hearts, goals, fears; hearing one girl say, “Good!  I was hoping this wasn’t just a one time thing!” after learning that Tuesday morning prayer for our campus is a consistent time; reconnecting with track teammates and other athletes; meeting new people on the sidewalks, playing tennis, eating in the buffet; planning and praying with my CO teammates for God to guide us and go before us.

Looking ahead, we have a brief retreat Friday and Saturday for our student leaders where they will be encouraged and continue being equipped to disciple other students.  Recruiting among believing and non-believing athletes for a course called Alpha hosted by our church - the purpose of which is teaching and discussion towards the aim of leading people to a relationship with Jesus as Lord (http://alphausa.org/Groups/1000065342/Guest_homepage.aspx).  Pray for God to prepare the hearts of those we invite.  I have faith He WILL bring people to Himself!

Thank you, Father, for this privilege to join in Your plan of redeeming mankind to Yourself.  Would YOU build this house, that we may not labor in vain (Psalm 127:1).  

1 comment:

  1. I'm still praying for you and all the hearts already being changed there on campus! Thanks for the update!!

    ReplyDelete