undone [uhn-duhn] adj. Brought to destruction or ruin.
This sounds like a negative thing, but is really the best thing. Just God showing us again how His definition of “good” and “bad” is different from our definitions. We tend to think that if something is painful, sad, uncomfortable then it is a bad thing and if something makes us happy, makes us feel good then it is a good thing. Really, God takes what we think is a “bad thing” and turns it into good, if our eyes are opened to it.
Related to this comes the idea of “suffering”, which was the topic of last night’s Alpha dinner and discussion. We had a full table of athletes and other students. About an hour before Alpha was to start yesterday, I walked into the library and met my friend Christina from Taiwan. She is on the tennis team but will not be official until she passes the TOEFEL. Until then, she will be a student in the Language Institute we have on our campus. I hope everyone could have a Christina in their life – someone who flashes you the biggest smile and waves ultra-excitedly and says your name really energetically every time they see you! We have become informal language buddies – I help her with her English and she promises to help me with Chinese once her English is better.
Anyways, I told her I was going to Alpha and invited her to come. She asked, “They will speak English?” I said yes, there wouldn’t be any Chinese spoken. She finished her English homework, came with me, enjoyed the food, didn’t understand much of the talk, wants to go to church on Sunday, and wants to go back to Alpha for the other weeks. Thank you, God, for giving her an open heart – I pray you would bring her to faith in You.
I originally started this blog to talk about our Fall Retreat that was last Friday evening and Saturday…Instead of writing so much, we’ll story through pictures:
Here is Deerhaven Retreat Center, in the middle of Ocala National Forest.
Jumpin' Joey, Dreadin' Dray, and Rusty Ricky were the Emcees for the weekend. We are redneck natives of the land.
Ronnie Garcia is the head pastor of a church plant in San Juan, Puerto Rico. With our theme of "Undone", Ronnie taught us all in a way that we left examining ourselves, aware of our sinfulness, God's holiness, and our desperate need of a Savior every single day of our lives.
Peggy Ray - an intern with the PR church plant - shared during a break-out session for the girls and guys. After admitting that she has never enjoyed any talk she has heard relating to "Biblical Womanhood", she proceeded to blow us away with the simple, yet forgotten truth that our identity is rooted in BELONGING TO JESUS. Oh, that we would believe our worth is in Jesus and no one else.
Friday night was highlighted by the funnest, cleanest dance party in the history of Florida. I never liked to dance until I went on Summer Project - now when I'm surrounded by so many friends, I go crazy and like to bring along everyone to go crazy with me!
Emmie on the left is a sweet new freshman. She admits she is shy, but she sure wasn't on the dance floor! I have enjoyed hearing all about what she thought of the retreat. Jojo is a Chinese friend who has been investigating Christ for the last year. This weekend has brought her so close to see who Jesus is. I had many similar conversations with other girls.
Between every session was worship through singing - songs that were simple yet profound..."in the morning when I rise, give me Jesus", "all I need is You, Lord", "the riches of Your love will always be enough"...
Amongst over 100 students from 4 different universities, God is expanding His kingdom! Pray that more citizens be made!









awww so awesome to hear, will be keeping you and ur friends in my thoughts :) p.s. i love fun clean dance parties!! hehe
ReplyDeleteanother blog with such encouraging, amazing stories! and your mullet was the best... love you!
ReplyDelete