Sunday, September 25, 2011

Perfect Fall Weekend

If you google "A picture is worth a thousand words", you get a variety of people who are believed to have said it first - from an ancient Chinese proverb to Napoleon Bonaparte to some American publisher.  Hmmmm...interesting.  I'm sure if my research skills were better and if I actually wanted to, I could find out who really did say it first.  

But my real point is: Pictures have become my preferred way of communicating events.  Reading and writing have never been my favorites - growing up I always wanted to read books with pictures and I enjoyed learning how to write in APA format - very formulaic and no fluff or creativity required

Friday afternoon and Saturday I was able to spend up in JAX/J-Ville/Jacksonville, FL, with a couple of my really good friends from my summer project in 2010.  It is always a very special time when I am with them – we became so close on the project and will be friends forever.

Hannah and Dargan making ravioli for dinner.  They both like to buy random things at Whole Foods – so we ate ravioli made from happy free-range cheese.  Friday we had some of their friends over for a dessert night.  I enjoy observing how UNF girls interact with each other – quite different from Embry-Riddle girls.

Hannah with two of her friends from China and Japan who came to the dessert night – they are so sweet!  Hannah is an inspiration to me – welcoming and loving people is engrained in her heart.  I can’t wait to see how God continues to use her to take His name to the nations.

Flashback from our time on the summer project!  Dargan, Hannah, and I all dolled up for the My Tie social.

After an enjoyable afternoon with my friends at the beach in JAX, I drove back to Daytona because we had our 2nd Annual International Party (which has now been dubbed “Passport to the World”) with a bunch of girl friends!  Everyone who had a kitchen to cook in brought their favorite dish from their hometown – we had representatives from China, Malaysia, Jamaica, Canada, and the U.S.  We ate, played games, made new friends, and enjoyed old ones!  Here are just a few from our group…

Last Wednesday was dear Yi’s birthday so we surprised her with a cake! 

Today was a pretty normal Sunday: met at the Village dorms at 9 am to carpool with about 20 students to Sunday School and church; ate lunch with them at the dorm buffet; then I did something different!  I volunteered for a couple hours at the hospice nearby with two ladies from church who needed an extra hand in preparing meals for about ten people.  It was enjoyable getting to know them and hear about what life is like for them. 

On a final note from an eventful weekend, I have been greatly encouraged by e-mails people have sent me in response to my latest e-mail update.  God is using them to fill me up with hope that He is hearing their prayers and is always always beautifully sovereign!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for your perfect fall weekend! I'm sorry I couldn't make it to your passport to the world extravaganza! I was a little busy and far away. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete