Tonight we gathered with our student leaders for a time of training and fellowship...I haven't sensed God's consuming presence like I did tonight at any meeting we've ever had. The topic for tonight was prayer. I talked up front for a bit and then we went into a long time actually praying with the people at our tables. How beautiful it was to hear the girls around me praying for their friends, their own selfish hearts, for the desire to want Jesus and understand how much they need Him. I praise God for using my monotone voice and inadequate speaking ability to lead us to think more about opening our hearts to Jesus and giving Him access to our needs.
Earlier, when I was running through what all I was going to say tonight, I prayed that God would be raised higher on the thrones of our hearts. That we would be in awe of His grace, which says He just wants to be with us. That we would realize our need for Jesus and be driven to call out to Him out of our incompleteness.
He heard me. He answered me. Just as He promises to do.
Tomorrow night we have our first small group discussion for lady athletes only! We'll be looking at the person of Jesus - how He loved, healed, and served people and how His life influences our own. I thank God for Rebecca and Charlotte - two athletes who desire their teammates to know Jesus. They pray for them behind the scenes and serve them up front. I know our Father delights in filling their empty cups.
What god is like our God who calls messy people to come to Him and find rest?
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of Him. ~ 1 John 5:14-15
Give thanks to the Lord, call on His name; make known among the nations what He has done. Sing to Him, sing praise to Him; tell of all His wonderful acts. Glory in His holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice. Look to the Lord and His strength; seek His face always. ~ Psalm 105:1-4
Drew this at the meeting, thanks to Paul Miller and his book A Praying Life. Illustrates how the more of God's holiness and beauty we see and the more of our own sinfulness we see, the cross/our need for Jesus grows bigger and we say, "I need to pray!"

when's your book gonna be published? can't wait to see you and your monotone (not!) voice soon! love you love you!
ReplyDelete