Decision: To make gratitude a way of life
Celebration: Getting my ears pierced!
They aren't really related at all. However, I've been pondering the idea of piercing my ears for about a year, and when I decided to go for it, I thought, why not turn this big event into a celebration while I'm at it?
My friends Erin and Christina accompanied me and cheered me on. It didn't hurt and I really like how I look with little pearls on my ears. But more importantly, my holed ears are now a reminder about my surrendering a bitter attitude and choosing instead to give thanks. Even when all else may be falling apart, I can always be thankful for God's grace and unfailing love. Because I know I will live out this decision far from perfectly, it is all the more reason to give thanks for my Father's overwhelming grace!
Psalm 107 is a beautiful collection of stories of people in the midst of chaos who call out to God, and He - in accordance with His character - is faithful in answering. The exhortation then is, "Let them give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for men, for He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things" (verses 8, 9).
Thankful for God's love He draws in the skies
Thankful for each separate leaf He paints
Thankful for His love in the form of a sister
Thankful for His joy we hear in laughter

Thanks for sharing, Andrea! This is a great idea, to mark a big decision/commitment in your life with a celebration, especially a tangible reminder. It reminds me of the ancient practice of piercing the bond-servant's ear on the door post when he presents himself again to his master after having been set free. Anyway, in response to your invitation on your email update, I am thankful for my parents showing love to me consistently and selflessly; and for a community of teachers and staff at the school I work at who support and encourage me! Love that heart-cloud picture, by the way.
ReplyDeleteLittle baby! Thanks for the wonderful reminder and I can't wait to see your new ears. I'm so thankful to God for YOU!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE!!! What a great way to "mark it" and "celebrate it"! Love your heart sweet Andrea! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete